Friday, January 15, 2010

Summary of our trip

As I sit here in my home I think back to my twelve days in the Philippines and think of how blessed I am. I have a loving family, a roof over my head (which is a mansion compared to anything we saw while in the Philippines)all the food I can eat and the love of GOD in my heart. I have to choke back tears each time I speak of the Philippines. The people have really captured my heart. My kids asked me to take them to Mcdonalds for dinner and as I thought about taking them I realized that the money I would spend for 5 of us to eat there could feed several families for a week in the Philippines. I challenge everyone to think of this as they eat out or purchase something that is a "want" more than a "need". For as little as $20.00 a month you can sponsor a child in the orphanage and this will provide food for that child. Please consider sponsoring a child at the Wesley Home for Youth in the Philippines. We have placed 5 girls and 6 boys in the home. Their ages range from 15 to 7 years of age. Their names are Emily, Geraluz, Daisy, Michelle, Catherine, Glenn, John Micheal, Jolly, Jusin, John Lloyd and Dave. Please feel free to contact me for more information. I hope to have pictures and profiles of all of the kids next week and will place them on the bulletin board at church. Please take time to look at them. Chuck, Chris and I will be giving our Mission report at church in a couple of weeks. We will have lots of pics and video to show you. I hope to see everyone there. In the meantime here are a few pics for you to ponder over. Please take time to pray for these kids. Most have lost their fathers, have been living on the streets with no one to care for them, they have been begging for food and have been exploited in some way. They were like sponges absorbing all the attention we would give them. They were so appreciative and respectful.

I made friends with one little boy. His name was Jusin. He was nine years old, deaf and mute. He was the size of an average 6 year old american child. He was very sweet and wanting to be loved. I met him while attending a church service the 1st Sunday in the Philippines. He would look at me and grin a
nd I would make faces back at him. He would go back and forth and I wondered where his parents were. After service I was speaking with one of the pastors and asked about the child. He proceeded to tell me that he was a child that lived near the church but was not cared for by his parents. Both parents worked and they would leave him home alone with other siblings. Just the week before he had been missing for over 7 days. He had been roaming the streets riding one Jeepny (this is their version of a bus for public transportation) after another in Cebu. I later found out that out of desperation by his mother they would chain him up to keep him from wondering off while they were gone. This just broke my heart and I wanted to do something for this family not only for the kids but for the parents so that they would know that their children were safe. After several meetings with the parents Dustin and Arnell were able to convince the parents to let the two brothers move in the orphanage. The day the boys were dropped off at the orphange was a very joyful one. They were like kids in a candy store. They picked out their beds and were so excited to be doing so. One of the boys kept rubbing the wrinckles out of his blanket like he was ironing it. The boys were very dirty so I asked Chris to show them the shower. Chris said as soon as they saw the shower they jumped up and down very excited and began stripping off their clothes. For you see, these boys did not have a bathroom in their home. They used a simple garden hose to bath with. This simple fixture which is nothing to us americans was a "luxary" to them. Things that we take for granted was "luxary" to them. When one of the girls was asked if she would like a queen beed with sheets, blankets, pillows and curtains she responded with a simple "NO" when asked why would she not want this she replied, "it is too much". This got me to thinking......what is too much? That struck me to my core. When we think we need more money, more physical things, etc we should drop to our knees and thank GOD for what we have because when we think of the people in the Philippines WE HAVE TOO MUCH.

Here are a few pictures for you to think about. Please pray for these people. They need our prayers!

this child was sitting along the roadside. All alone with no parents.











this is where the children at the dumpsite play










Top Row.....Emily, Geraluz, Michelle, Catherine and Daisy

Bottom Row....John Micheal, Jolly and Glenn

Not pictured.....Jusin, John Lloyd and David


Jusin and John Lloyd....these are the brothers I mentioned above. As I was leaving for the airport to return home little Jusin ran to his room and grabbed his bag and placed it in the van next to mine. So sweet yet so sad.
















1 comment:

  1. Kristine,

    This is Steve Madden...Jonathan and David's Dad.

    Thank you for sharing highlights of your trip to the Philippines. I was especially moved by your reflections that you posted after you returned home.

    Would you please post on this blog the time and date when you, Chris and Chuck will give a report to your church family about the trip? Pam and I would like to attend, to hear each of you reflect on the needs of abandoned and orphaned children in the Philippines.

    Thank you.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete